I can’t wait to get outside after this looong winter! The sun is finally shining, I hear the birds again and the snow is slowly melting! It’s a great time to change up my workout and get outside. So here are my top ten ideas for taking things up a notch for this season:
1. Get yourself some new kicks! Sneakers only last about 4-6 months. If you can’t remember when you bought your sneakers, it’s probably time for new ones! I love the feeling of lacing up some new colorful sneakers and feeling cushiony new socks (I love my Thorlo’s!) under my feet. It literally puts spring in my step!
2. Commit to an upcoming event. Look around for a local 5K walk or run. Maybe a Mudderella or Warrior Dash! Having that deadline will give you a goal to strive towards. Okay, you don’t have to get as muddy as we were, but you get the idea!
3. Get a friend or family member to exercise with you. Exercising with a buddy makes it more fun, and makes you more likely to stick with it. Commit to regular early morning walks or weekend tennis matches.
4. If you’re still listening to December’s music, splurge on a new playlist! I just created an 80’s playlist that really makes me move! (I just posted it on my Facebook page if you want to check it out here).
5. Try outdoor exercise! If you’ve always wanted to try canoeing or hiking or even yoga on a paddleboard, you can start now and be ready for some real adventure by summer! (You can tell from the three colliding canoes above that my family always makes these sports violent, as in jousting on canoes.)
6. Change up how you’re fueling your workout. Spring is a great time to overhaul your snacks. Try some different seasonal fruits and veggies in your smoothie, like fresh berries, spinach, and arugula. Watch your juicing, though! If you wouldn’t eat a banana, an apple and a pint of blueberries in one sitting (that’s a lot of food), why would you drink it?
7. Reward yourself! Find an awesome summer top that you can reward yourself with, and post a picture of it in your kitchen so you’ll be inspired by it throughout the day. Then buy it for yourself when you accomplish your goal. For me, it’s absolutely anything from the Boston Proper catalogue! (Oh, and always get the earrings, too!)
8. Get a fun new water bottle! Let’s face it – drinking water isn’t the most exciting thing, but having a cute water bottle makes it just a little bit easier to stay hydrated! The more you sweat, the more water you need to drink. Keep it next to you all day long.
9. Take lessons in a new sport! Tennis or golf lessons are great ways to get outside and meet new people. And lessons make the sport so much more enjoyable (Sorry, Frank. I saw this photo, and just had to put it in!) Bonus: What’s more fun than shopping for new tennis or golf clothes?
10. Plan an family outdoor adventure vacation! Book the ultimate escapade for you and your family. Hike one of the national parks, or ride horses at a dude ranch, or climb an island volcano. I think I just talked myself into it!
Whatever you do, enjoy it!